Monday 5 July 2010

Journey to the West, Part 5: Kuala Lumpur

The last stop in my world tour was Kuala Lumpur, where I spent a week with my colleagues at Customware. They work European working hours, so it was a college student's dream job: roll into work at 3, leave at midnight.  The team is a diverse bunch of smart, enthusiastic, and energetic people, and they went out of their way to be great hosts as well. We usually ate dinner together, and we managed a few lunches and (after midnight) suppers as well. It's hard to cover how amazing the food is in Malaysia, but among other things, while I was there I enjoyed:


  • Nasi Lemak, the national dish of Malaysia.
  • Roti Canai, a local interpretation of Indian flat bread
  • Otak Otak, a seasoned fish mousse steamed in banana leaves
  • Rojak, a sweet salad of fruit and vegetables in a thick brown sauce
  • Assam and Curry Laksa, two noodle soups that are justly famous around the world.
  • fresh Popia, tasty uncooked spring rolls filled with vegetables, a light brown sauce, and crunchy treats like peanuts.
  • fresh Guava with a little bit of sweet and sour seasoning

The KL team are really active on Facebook, here's a good starting point to see what we were up to during my trip:



It was a great visit, long enough to get to know everyone a little, but short enough to make me want to come back and visit again.

No comments: