Friday 27 June 2008

"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

My boss (and friend) John Smith loaned my a paperback copy of "One Hundred Years of Solititude". It took me longer than most books, but I gradually made my way through.

This is a great book in every sense. It is a book full of characters and imagery, full of every aspect of life; love, ambition, intellect, sex, war, death; all are explored in their turn.

The "magic realism" or "fantastic realism" of the work is one of its appeals. Confronted with the literal description of ghosts and magic carpets, a pragmatic reader like myself thinks about ghosts as a synonym for memories of the dead, and about the power of suggestion to lend credibility to the impossible.

Anyway, a fantastic book and highly recommended.

No comments: