Thursday 29 May 2008

Review: "All Over but the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg

On a recent trip over from the states, my mother brought a copy of "All Over but the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg, which I read during my recent holiday.

Rick Bragg is a journalist, a Southerner, and a storyteller. In this book, he tells his story, his family's story, and with love, respect and regret, his mother's story. Their stories are closer to my mother's generation and its experience of the old south and its poverty, but those experiences are still accessible in a quite personal way for me at a distance.

It was particularly timely to read about Bragg flying his own mother to New York to watch him receive the Pulitzer Prize while in the midst of our trip around the UK with my Mom, who had never been outside the states before.

Anyway, I loved the book and highly recommend it.

No comments: